The purpose of iCloud is to enable users to store data such as photos, files, and app data. Not only that, when you sign in to an iCloud account, you can easily and wirelessly back up your iOS devices to iCloud as well as share or send data to other users. Signing up to iCloud is easy and doesn’t take too much time to complete. Backups done on iCloud are usually automatic and are usually encrypted. In a case where you want to restore your Apple device back to its factory settings, iCloud helps to store your phone backup for you so that all your important files and information are not lost. When a user signs up to iCloud to back up their information such as their photos, files, videos, etc they get a free 5GB cloud storage. Signing up to iCloud is done with almost any device such as your iPhone, iPad, Mac, Windows, or PC and users require an Apple ID to be able to sign up to iCloud. Your Apple ID is usually used by iCloud to identify other devices as well as computers that should synchronize together. If you are looking for a safe way to store your important information so as to get back to it later, you want to relieve your mobile device of space, you want to back up your device so that you will be able to restore it back to factory settings or you are looking for a way to save your data and share it to other users- you can do that by signing up to iCloud. This article will guide you on how to successfully sign up to iCloud and how to get an apple ID so let’s get to it.
How to Sign Up to an iCloud Account
To sign up to iCloud, you need to, first of all, have an Apple ID and you can have an Apple ID by simply creating one. We will show you the steps you need to follow to successfully create an Apple ID that you can use for your iCloud signup.
Create an Apple ID for your iPhone or iPad
To create an Apple ID for your iPhone or iPad, follow the steps below:
- Go to settings and click on Sign in.
- Click on ‘don’t have an Apple ID or forgot password.
- Click on ‘create a free Apple ID’.
- Scroll on the birthday fields presented to you and select your birthday then click on Next.
- On the fields presented to you, type in your first name and your last name then click on Next.
- You will see an option to ‘use your current email address or ‘Get a free iCloud email address. If you want to get a free iCloud email address, then click on it and follow the prompts.
- Enter your email address if you are using your current email address- This email address will be your Apple ID then click on Next.
- Enter your password of choice into the field required and click on Next.
- Select your country and enter your phone number.
- Select a method for verification whether by text message or by phone call and then click on Next.
- You will be sent a verification code, type in the verification code in the field required and click Next.
- Review and agree to the terms and conditions and you will be automatically signed in to iCloud but if you are not automatically signed in, you can enter your email and password and then click on Sign in.
After creating your Apple ID, you can then sign up to iCloud without much stress. We will show you the step-by-step instructions on how to successfully sign in to an iCloud account.
How to Sign in to an iCloud Account
Sign up to iCloud on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
To sign up for iCloud, follow the steps below:
- On your iOS device, go to settings.
- At the top of the screen, tap on your name and then click on iCloud.
- Toggle mail to on and then click on ‘create’ when you see the pop-up.
- Choose the iCloud email address you want to use to sign up to iCloud then click on Next.
- Be sure that the iCloud email address you choose is the one you would prefer because there is no option to change it when you are done.
- If you are sure and satisfied with the option you have selected, you can then click on ‘done’.
When you have completed the steps above, you have successfully signed in to iCloud on your iOS device.
How to create an iCloud account on your Mac
If you want to create an iCloud account on your MAC, follow the steps below:
- On the top left corner of the page, choose the Apple menu.
- Tap on ‘system preferences’.
- Click on Apple ID and then click on iCloud if you are using macOS 10.15 or later.
- If you are using macOS 10.14 or earlier, just click on iCloud.
- Then click on mail.
- Choose the email address you will like to use on your iCloud and then tap OK.
- You also need to be sure about the email address you have selected and when you are satisfied with the email address, you can then click on ‘Create’.
After completing the steps above, you have successfully signed up for iCloud on your Mac.
How to set up your email address on your iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac
After creating an iCloud email address, you need to make sure that the email address is turned on in the iCloud settings so that it can appear on the mail app on your device.
If you want to turn your iCloud email account on your iPhone, iPad, or on your iPod simply go to settings, click on your name, click on iCloud and then Toggle on mail.
If you want to turn on your iCloud email account on your Mac just open the Apple menu, select system preferences, tap on Apple ID if you are using macOS 10.15 or later, select iCloud and then tick your mailbox.
Was this article on how to sign in to an iCloud account helpful? For questions and comments, either make use of the comment box below or contact us to get in touch.