Entries for the 2023-2024 Chevening scholarship have opened – applications for the scholarship for 2023-2024 opened on August 2nd 2022 with the closing date on November 1st 2022. Chevening scholarship is a scholarship opportunity provided for students from different parts of the world to undergo their master’s degree at any approved university in the UK.
Scholarships are granted to excellent students who demonstrate their competencies or skills that prove that they have the right leadership and interpersonal skills that set them aside as individuals who would impact and create a positive change through the scholarship.
The scholarship is awarded to more than 1500 students globally and is a fully-funded scholarship that covers tuition fees, monthly allowance, airfare tickets to the UK as well as other allowances to cover extra expenses.
Before your application will be considered, you will need to fulfil all the eligibility criteria and also submit all necessary documentation required. To successfully do this, you need to get prepared, and preparation involves performing research and getting all the information needed. This is why this article will provide you with the information you need to apply, including step-by-step procedures on how to apply.
What Chevening Scholarship Covers
The scholarship covers the tuition fees, monthly stipend, cost of airfare to and from the UK, an arrival allowance, cost of one visa application and a travel grant to attend events hosted by Chevening in the UK.
Some of the eligibility criteria for the Chevening scholarship include:
- To be eligible, you must be a citizen of a Chevening eligible country or territory.
- Ability to return to your home country for at least 2 years after the award has been completed.
- The applicant must apply for a full-time Master’s degree that is not less or more than 12 months.
- An applicant for the scholarship must have attended an undergraduate degree that is equivalent to an upper second class 2:1 honours degree in the UK.
- An applicant for the scholarship must have applied to three different university courses and has received an unconditional offer for one of the courses.
- Applicants for the scholarship must have 2 years of work experience or work experience of 2800 hours.
- Applicants who are British nationals or who hold British dual citizenship are not eligible to apply unless they are citizens of British overseas territory and are applying from Hong Kong.
- Applicants holding refugee status in a non-Chevening country is not eligible. The only refugee status applicants that are eligible are those in Chevening member countries.
- Applicants are not eligible if they are employees, former employees or relatives of current and former employees of her Majesty’s Government or a staff member of the Association member of Commonwealth Universities.
- Applicants who are employees, former employees or relatives of an employee of a Chevening partner organization are free to apply but they cannot receive a Chevening Partner award from that particular organization which they or their relative work.
- Applicants that are already in the UK under the UK Government funding are not eligible for the scholarship.
Application Requirements for the Chevening Scholarship
- Applications are done online and applications must be submitted in English.
- You will be asked to provide your personal information and your contact details.
- The application for this scholarship includes four essay questions. The requirement for the essay is that it must not be less than 100 words with a maximum of 500 words. The topic for the essay is provided each year and available on the scholarship webpage.
- You must provide two reference letters as well as the contact details of each reference provided because the British High commission contacts and verifies the authenticity of the reference letters from your referees. You can find details of the requirements for the reference letters on the scholarship webpage.
- You will also be asked to provide the number of work hours and working weeks you have done in the work experience section.
It is important to note that once you have completed your application and have clicked on submit, you cannot modify your application. Save your application as you go and you can log out and log in to continue your application process using your email and password.
The application deadline for the 2023-2024 Chevening scholarship is 2nd November 2022.
For more information about the Chevening scholarship visit: www.chevening.org